Text Size :   Colours : Normal colour scheme  High contrast colour scheme 
national Gulf Veterans and families association
0845 257 4853 (0845 257 GULF)
email :
You are not
logged in

You are here : Home / About Us / FAQs

FAQ Sections :

How to join

Who can become a member of the NGVFA?

To be a full member you have to have served in the Gulf War 1990-91 or any subsequent desert conflicts. You will need to be a serving or ex-serving forces member or one of their dependents. You do not have to be ill to join the NGVFA.

If you want to become an associate member you can also join and this can be anyone who is interested in the charity and the work we do. You do not get voting rights as an associate member. For more information see our How to Join section.

How much does it cost?

Our membership year runs from 1st March to 28th Feb. Full membership is £15 annually. For associate membership the fee is £5 annually.

What do I have to do to join?

All you need to do is make sure whether you fall into the full or associate membership criteria and then complete a membership application. Send your membership payment by either cheque/postal order or online banking payment.


What is Gulf War Syndrome?

Gulf War Syndrome is a multi-symptom multi-illness condition. It is not at present accepted by the World Health Organisation (WHO), but for those who suffer with this, it is very real. For more information click here for our Gulf War Syndrome leaflet.

What is priority treatment for war pensioners?

If you are in receipt of a war pension award, be it a gratuity (one off payment) or a weekly pension, you are entitled under an NHS Executive Guideline HSG(97)31 to receive priority treatment for the accepted conditions on your war pension. In 2008 the guideline was extended to include conditions that are not accepted under your war pension but could be caused from your service in the armed forces. If you have any problems accessing priority treatment please contact us.

I donít seem to be getting help with medical care - what can I do?

We hear from a lot of veterans who seem to experience problems getting the right medical care in their area. The General Medical Council (GMC) has a guide, "Good Medical Practice", on their website, which explains the duties of a doctor and may be a good place to start. If this does not help then contacting the Chief Executive of your Primary Care Trust (PCT) may be the next move.

Claiming pensions & benefits

What can I claim?

If you have injuries or illnesses that were caused from your service in the armed forces then you are entitled to claim a war pension if your illness or injury happened prior to 6th April 2005. After this time you would need to make a claim under the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme.

There is also a Preserved Pension, which is your forces pension paid earlier than age 55. If you are unfit to work full time again due to illnesses and are in receipt of a war pension you can apply for this.

Benefits - there are also various benefits for people who have illnesses and need care, such as Disability Living Allowance. To find out more information on benefits available to you log onto the DWP website


What can I do about the decision I get for my war pension if I donít agree with it?

You can appeal this decision. You have a set amount of time in which to do this so make sure that you follow the timescales. We have more information for members in our leaflet "A guide to help you understand War Pension Appeal Tribunals"

Do I have to attend?

We would strongly recommend that you do. After all, you have appealed against a decision that you do not agree with. This is your time to get your points across to help your case and you are the best person to do this.

Can I take someone with me?

Yes, is the simple answer. For an assessment appeal we would strongly recommend that you take a partner, or close relative who can give evidence on how your illnesses affect you.

For an entitlement appeal it is not that necessary but if you feel you need a carer with you then you have the right to do this.


How can I make a donation?

You can make a donation to the NGVFA by any of the following methods: a cheque/postal order payable to NGVFA and sent to the office address, make a payment through on line banking (contact the office for our bank details) or click on our website "Donate now" button. For more information see Make a donation or contact us.

How can I help raise funds?

Car boot sales, collection tubs in pubs etc., collection days, sponsored runs etc. - there are a lot of ways to help raise funds and at the same time you will find that it also raises awareness of the charity. See our How you can help section for more information or alternatively contact the office.

The Gulf Trust/ The Gulf Trust Fund

In 1991 the Sun Newspaper instigated a public fundraising appeal to raise monies to support armed forces and civilian personnel involved in the Gulf War 1990-91.

They had a very good response, and so a charity was set up and registered with the Charity Commission on the 7th March 1991 with the sole purpose of administering the funds - this charity was called The Gulf Trust. The agreement was that funds could only be accessed via applications through the 3 main service benevolent organisations - The Army Benevolent Fund (now called "ABF The Soldiers' Charity") the RAF Benevolent Fund (RAFBF) and The King George's Fund for Sailors ("Seafarers UK").

The records show that The Gulf Trust ceased to exist as a charity on the 6th January 1995. Prior to this, on 31st July 1994, the remaining funds held by The Gulf Trust were transferred to the three main services charities for them to administer. The ABF received 80% of the money, RAFBF 15% and Seafarers 5%.

When the monies were transferred to the 3 service charities, it was on the condition that they were "Ring-Fenced", i.e. restricted, and could only be used to support service personnel, civilians, veterans and their dependants who suffered distress as a result of hostilities relating to the Gulf War 1990-91.

These funds were due to become unrestricted in 2004 but it would seem this did not occur. These funds remain distributed between each of the 3 service charities detailed above and appear in their annual accounts as restricted funds, usually called Gulf Fund or Gulf Trust Fund.

The links below will lead you to details of the 3 service charities (ABF, RAFBF and Seafarers) which are held on the Charity Commission web site, from which you can access their audited accounts and Trustee details. Alternatively go to the Charity Commission website and search for "Gulf Trust" to access the same information.



Seafarers UK:

Quick Links
Charity No. 1074867
Companies House No. 3731497
Site & contents © NGVFA 2008-2019